Friday, March 14, 2014

Freelance Files // 3 // What I wish someone would have told me in high school.


High school. Because I was home schooled, I was able to take my first graphic design class at a community college when I was 16 or 17. Photoshop was a new-fangled thing back then. And we inked a lot of things and used Xerox machines. My professor, a textile designer from the 1950's hated all of my work (probably an exaggeration). Also, I knew I just liked people too much to sit in front of a computer screen my whole adult life. So I threw in the towel and said, "I'm done with this."

So I wish someone would have said*:

1. Art teachers aren't forever. Get through this and you'll get to do what you want.

2. Watch more tutorials on Youtube. More than you'll ever be able to count. Because that's where you really figure out tips and tricks and ideas. I mean, college professors will have you do the same thing. Mess around like mad with Photoshop and Illustrator; that's were learning happens.

3. You won't be staring at a computer screen forever. Because a ton of freelancing, anyway, is networking. It's a lot of meeting with people and talking potential projects.

4. Do art now. Lots of it. All the time. Don't fear failure. Develop your own style. Find mediums and methods that work for you. And don't feel guilty about doing your own personal projects because often those are the ones that will end up in your portfolio. Speaking of portfolios - get a Behance account right now and start putting your work on the table.

5. Find internships. Or at least start designing for your church or a family friend who needs invitations. And do it for free while your parents still pay for your room and board. It will be good for you.


......................................................................................................................................................


AND one more thing!

6. As an English major, a professor once said to me, "To be the best writer, read the best authors, listen to the best speakers, and write, write, write." That's true of art too. Copy the greats. Follow designers you love. In the wake of social media there is not a lack in artists to be inspired by.



*Actually, I don't really wish it, because I'm so thankful for the sovereignty of God and how He's chosen to work in my life, but these are things that could have been helpful to know before now. 

No comments: