Friday, March 18, 2011

Lessons from Lent.

I have never wanted a Diet Coke more in my life.

I started observing Lent in college, when my good friend Ben Anderson explained the "why" behind it. While it is certainly not taught biblically, I saw the benefits in preparing my heart for Easter. Since then I have given up something, such as popcorn (believe me, that was harder than you know), desserts, ect.

This year, however, it became a law. Something I did because I always do.
And I chose to give up Diet Coke because it would be easy. It's my favorite pop of choice, but I usually only have it once or twice a month. Totaling a whopping 3x over the Lent season.

But once it became this law that I inflicted upon myself, it has made me want the very thing I can't have.
The depravity of man. The depravity of me! I always want what I can't have. I always do what the law says that I should not do (Romans 7).

Christ came to abolished the law.

No, I am not abolishing lent, or planning to guzzle Diet Coke.
Galatians 3:16 says, "the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ..."

Ruth Haley Barton begs this question, "How will I find ways to return to God with all my heart?"

Really, how am finding ways to return to God with all my heart? Is it in the giving up of Diet Coke?





So in the end (and I know it's not over), the giving up of Diet Coke, has taught me in an unusually beautiful way more of my need for Christ, the fulfillment of the law (Matthew 5:17). "Hallelujah, what a Savior!"

2 comments:

Erika said...

Pretty awesome! I have not observed lent, but I am making it a goal to read through the new Testament with my church in 90 days. We are almost there, and it has taken more commitment than doing it on my own. The cross is why we sacrifice here on earth, but there is no greater sacrifice than Jesus! We are blessed.

Kayla Michelle said...

Thanks for sharing Erika! That sounds challenging, but it's great to have that accountability from friends. WE ARE BLESSED!