Monday, February 28, 2011

March Madness.

The irony in that statement is the fact that March (in theory) should be a little less maddening than the past few months. Basketball is over. The audit is over. Chili Supper is over. I get to be educated in the camping world. I get to see my family. I get to watch the March Madness of the basketball world. All things I love. And can find rest in...

Which leads me to my main thought. This idea of rest. Of Sabbath. We (as a culture) are so busy all the time. I witness the parents of girls on my basketball team run kids from activity to activity--sport to sport-- without breath. I see other people living the same lifestyle. I watch myself do it. And I think, I don't want that for myself. At least, at some point, I want rest.

Now the technical Sabbath, I believe, died when the law was abolished and the vail was torn. It wasn't reiterated in the New Testament like the other nine commandments. But Jesus rested. And He said, "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you."

In me there is this deep-seeded desire to find rest. This rest that is found in "Preaching the gospel to yourself everyday." Gal. 2:2. Knowing that I cannot do it all. I cannot do any of it without the grace of God. Without His death on the cross. His resurrection.

It reminds me of the importance to be with God. To spend time with Him and in His word.
And I don't know if I need, or should have, an "official" Sabbath...I am still thinking that idea through. Just throwing. Spewing. Thoughts on paper.

Thanks for reading.
Hope your March isn't maddening, but restful.

No comments: