Thursday, November 19, 2009

Grace in the Mourning

Recently a close friend of the family, a kid I watched grow up, chose to take his life. Oh how it grieved me. This young man, with a gentle and kind soul, had the potential to change the world one day. It hurt knowing that his family was hurting. It hurt that I couldn't be with my family. It hurt not sharing in the mourning process with the rest of Westbrooke.

God, in His complete sovereignty, allowed it to happen. Jesse did change the world; I know it rocked his parent's world and Westbrooke. Perhaps through this, it will wake people up to the importance of salvation, the acceptance of God's irresistible grace.

While my heart ached, I was comforted by the connection between my church here and my church at home. There is grace (providence and purpose) in the mourning. Lamentations 3:22-23, "The Lord's lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness."

No comments: