Thursday, July 9, 2009

Weakness.

C.S. Lewis writes, "Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy if offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased."

Here is stand, in the midst of making mud pies, caught up in all the things that don't really matter, like ambition and goals and education, while God has given me a much greater rewards that I have chosen not to cling to. But that's my life goal, to take that holiday at sea, to bask in the beauty of God's goodness and grace. He is certainly worth and sufficient.

That's what has been on my mind as of late. Summer, from the pessimist, is half over. July 4th is the unofficial half way point to the summer. One of my favorite holidays has come and gone. Fireworks are, in my opinion, one of the most amazing things on this earth. I cannot help but think of God and life and beauty. It rained almost all day on the 4th, but it just meant that we were able to double dip when it came to fireworks. Eureka's were moved to the 5th, so Ben, Chris, Emily, and I went to the Riverfront, which were great, but Eureka's are still the best ever.


So, I'm in the middle of central Illinois, at a coffee shop, and there's this guy here with a Royals hat, I wanted to say something, but he and his must-be-fiance are talking to their male wedding planner. Bizarre.

No comments: