Monday, February 2, 2009

Thoughts, mostly at random.

1) First of all, I love the month of February. Perhaps, it's because the name of the month of itself isn't spelled phonetically, which gives it an original feel. Or because it's the turning point of winter- almost a climax- it's all down hill from here. Or maybe because Valentine's day is in involved. Despite many people's loathing of the day, I still like it. Pink, red, candy, flowers, really life can't get much better. The month just makes you want to belt out the lyrics to Josh Groban's, "You Are Loved."

2) While searching for a get well card for my grandpa who had knee surgery, I came to the realization that Hallmark has avoided a whole market of cards. That would be to those who need encouragement, but not in the form of floweriness. Where are all the masculine get well cards, I ask.

3) Going back to the fact it's February- thankfully- January left me with a bad attitude. I haven't diagnosed the problem completely. I think it was several circumstances that spawned my derogatory outlook. And maybe some of the people around me didn't even notice, but I did. Attitude starts in the heart. I spent time in the word and in prayer, but most of the time it was ritual. That's not living. However, the quality time I did spend with God, was spent wrestling with my bad attitudes. This is a subject that has continued to present itself and I don't always know what to do with it. But things are on the mend, I hope. As I read in Psalm 103 today, "Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forget not His benefits."

4) Basketball season is winding down. It's bitter sweet. Really, the whole experience, as serendipitous as it might have been, was invaluable. We've gone through a bit of a slump. Peoria Heights is tonight, so maybe this game will give us a the confidence we need to finish the season strong.

5) Finally, if I were to repeat any time in life it would be the Spring semester of my junior year in college. There are many reasons, but to boil it down, I accomplished so much in a short amount of time. I have to ask myself, what am I accomplishing today?

No comments: