Friday, January 2, 2009

This is life.

Basking in the glory of all I hope 2009 to be, a lot is running through my mind as I type this. I have a lot of questions that will be answered this year, whether I like it or not. Decisions will be made and life will go on. As I reflect on 2008, it was definitely different than I, or anyone else, had forcasted. I am in Eureka, Illinois of all places. But God is good, and I have learned to trust Him more.

I know people think this is dorky, but I love having New Years resolutions because it marks a place on a measuring stick that helps you determine how much you've grown over a period of time. This year I sat down at Starbuck's because I acquired a numbered of gift cards for Christmas, sipping a white chocolate peppermint mocha (because they're my favorite) and wrote down a list of things I want to accomplish.

1) I want to be more people focused. I want to call at least 2 people a month that I don't see on a regular basis. I want to go out of my way to do nice, unexpected things for people. Send someone flowers, write a note, take someone out for coffee. Over time, I hope my ideas are more creative. But I want this to be habit.

2) Already I love to cook, but I don't try new things- I rarely step out of the box. I want to try one new recipe a month. This month: butternut squash and feta au gratin.

3) This resolution won't happen in a year, or even 2, but I want to read a biography of every American president in order. This year I hope to make it to Andrew Jackson.

I have a few more, but I will leave it at these three for know.

This is my wish for this new year..."to choose life...and live in the land." Deut 30.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thank you kayla!! i really want to take up running, i feel better doing it and i am lessl stressful and just have a bigger appreciation for life in general. i just need to get back into the routine of it all after being thru the holidays which lead to no consistency at all!! i hope you are doing well! :)