Friday, March 1, 2013

HIRI | Comforts From the Cross

How I Read it (HIRI) is an idea I stole from me co-worker (co-laborer?), Pheaney.
You can go read thoughts over at pheaney.com.
It's simply a short and effective way to review a book.

Comforts From the Cross by Elyse Fitzpatrick

Quotable: "The early Jewish Christians experienced something that their predecessors had never known: complete freedom from guilt, rest from the law's cruel lash, infinite acceptance before a holy God. Think of their joy and relief. No wonder they turned the world upside down." (I may just like it due to the upside down reference!)

What I Liked: It was jammed packed with the gospel. The truth of the Word of God. The freedom we have in Christ as his followers. She communicated clearly who we are in him.

What I Liked II: I would highly recommend this book to a new believer, or maybe someone who does not know Jesus yet. Someone who struggles with whether or not God truly loves her. In Appendix 1, I appreciated how Elyse articulated what a good church is and what it isn't and emphasized being plugged in to a body of believer.

What I Liked III: Day 22 was particularly insightful to some sin issues I am struggling with. The reminder of Galatians 5:5, "...we ourselves eagerly await the hope of righteousness." She says on that day, "We must not give up in despair or seek to anesthetize our conscience with the shallow delights of this world. And then, even when we do give in to our wandering heart, we must remember our Father's promise. True righteousness and holiness will be ours.

What I Didn't Like: It was a little over-dramatic. So much so, there were moments of questioning her theology based on her hyperbole. The first sentence of Day 3 - "...your heavenly Father has no wrath left for you." Is this true? It seems to me Scripturally, that God in his righteousness does have wrath that he will one day poor out on Satan, ect. Or is that not what she meant? This is where things for me were jaded by the over-dramatization.

2013 Personal Impact Rating: Well, it's the first book I've finished (sadly!) this year. So, it's #1 (for now, anyway).

1. Comforts From the Cross by Elyse Fitzpatrick*


* I own it; you can borrow it.



2 comments:

Erika said...

Kayla-
So glad to hear what you are learning. I'm slowly making my way through Job-which means I've only been in Chapter 1. I struggle with devotions so badly and the accountability is slim for me.

I thought if you ever want to write for the By The Way ministry, please let me know. We are always looking for new writers.

Kayla Michelle said...

There is a lot of comfort that is found in the book of Job. I love that book!
What is the By the Way ministry?