Thursday, December 13, 2012

Waiting Games.

I wrote the following a few months ago. Maybe early September. And I never posted it; I don't know why. It's not really finished - it's rough. In fact, if you continue to read, you'll realize I kind of leave you hanging. (Sorry for that.) But perhaps this idea of waiting is more apropos for my life now than it was this fall. I am in this abyss of waiting. Not just for the normal things in life people my age wait for. But for Jesus to come back. Chew on that. 

Christmas isn't just about the first time He came. But it's also a reminder to look towards (and celebrate) when He'll come again. 

"Behold, this is our God; we have waited for him, that he might save us. This is the LORD; we have waited for him; let us be glad and rejoice in his salvation." - Isaiah 25:9

....................................................................................................................


I am at the point in my Bible reading plan where I am reading the Psalms.
Shouting from the pages is the theme of waiting.
Oh, how David waited. What was he waiting for?
He was waiting to stop running.
He was waiting to be delivered from Saul who was vengefully out to get him.
Not just a month or two, but for 10 years. TEN YEARS!

My waiting is so insignificant compared to the man after God's own heart.

He was so patient.
He was full of grace.
He let God fill in the blank spaces.*

But I am sure his songs came from the fear, the hurt, the frustration in his heart.
I am sure he wanted to be settled. To be home.

We all long for that.

I am sure he was tired and weary, but he found rest in God.
Not in things that won't satisfy.

So while I am unlike David in so many ways.
I am inpatient.
I am harsh.
I run ahead of God over and over.

I want to find that same rest from waiting.

* Until you read the incident with the show bread or Bathscheba. When he tried to write his own story things never quite worked out for him.

No comments: