Monday, May 16, 2016

So long Parks and Rec


The last two weeks I have developed a habit of watching an episode or two of Parks and Rec before hitting the sack. Sometimes even in bed, right before going to sleep. You know, to relax a little. 

"Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, to make you obey its passions. Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness. For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.”
Today, and maybe my application is a unconventional, I’m asking myself if Parks and Rec is an instrument of unrighteousness in my life. As in, is the best use of my time? 

And I'm asking myself to consider the gospel too. 

To allow it to roll like waves through my heart and mind. Not just on Sunday or in the morning while studying Scripture, but all the time. Even the moments preceding slumber. 

- At least I don’t watch the however many hours of television a day the average American does.
- And it’s not like I’m benging on Netflix. These DVDs are from the Library. 
- It’s been a long day and I need to unwind.
-  want to know what my work friends and non-work friends are all laughing about.
- Doesn’t Paul say, “I have become all things to all people, so that I might win some”?
- Maybe watching Parks and Rec will give me an open door to talk to an unbeliever about what Jesus has done for me. (Use this one all the time...it never happens.) 

But somewhere in the middle of the excuses I’ve stopped thinking about the gospel before bed. I’ve stopped praying to end the day. 

Believing in the gospel means that I don’t need the comfort of TV or music or ice cream. It means that I don’t need to fear losing friends because I’m not laughing at each line they quote. I don’t need those things to give identity or bring satisfaction, because I really believe that in the end Jesus is better and He is all that I need.

If anything prevents us from considering God and His gospel, it needs to be evaluated and eradicated. Maybe that’s harsh. Or too black and white. But in this entertained-to-death-even-as-Christians society, I think we are too lax in calling sin, sin. Not because Parks and Rec is sin, but because choosing something above Jesus is. 

I know the Lord is calling me - and you too - to something higher.
To use our time and our talents in an even richer way. 
To stop comforting ourselves with the big fluffy blanket we call pop-culture. Or the American Dream.

For me, it’s saying, so long Parks and Rec.
But for you, if it stirs your affections for Jesus and beckons you to consider the gospel, watch on...

And by way of reminder, it’s not Parks and Rec that’s the problem. It's my heart. My sin. My flesh that wants to forget Him. To find comfort in other places. And I’m continually at war against the things that distract and whisper, "It's OK. Jesus can play second-fiddle."
Sometimes even the good things - like clever humor - that He gives as a good gift. 

But I am rejoicing today, that His grace is greater than all our sin. 

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Such good insight. And convicting. Thanks for sharing!