Sunday, June 30, 2013

Decaf + Habakkuk + My Newest Favorite Song.

First of all, I am certain the iced latte that I sipped with friends this afternoon was not decaf. Bad news for me. Good news for the 17 friendly faces that follow this blog.

Second, I've been meaning to post a few quick thoughts I've had about the book of Habakkuk, and so here they are:

I hope they make sense.
(And please, PLEASE tell me if they don't. Or if they're heretical. Or if you just don't agree.)

Mostly, I want to be like Habakkuk.
Clearly a different set of circumstances. (Babylon is not coming to judge me or overthrow my nation.) But there are things I wrestle with.
And question.
Just like Habakkuk wondered how the judgement by pagan nations could be used by God's divine purposes.

Habakkuk is bold with his inquisitions and groaning.

The first time he questions the Lord says, "Look among the nations, and see; wonder and be astounded. For I am going to do a work in your days that you would not believe if told." (1:5)

The second time Habakkuk complains God says, "If it seems slow, wait for it; it will surely come; it will not delay." (2:3)

AND then - the gospel - "...the righteous shall live by his faith." (2:4b)

BUT the big picture is this:
At the end of the book, Habakkuk gets to this place where he can say, "though things are a wreck on this earth - and I have NO idea what's going on, 'I will rejoice in the Lord; I will take joy in the God of my salvation. God the Lord, is my strength...'"

The righteous shall live by faith...

I want to get to the place in the midst of my complaining and question-asking where I can see the bigger picture of redemptive history and trust - have faith in, lean on the Lord - and say, "Yet (even in the craziness), I will rejoice in the Lord."
Because I know God's promises.
I know His timing is perfect.
And I know He is faithful.




And last, but not least, this is my newest favorite song: Anchor of Hope by Ellie Holcolmb.

No comments: