Thursday, April 11, 2013

Why We're All Miserable.


The more I counsel and disciple women. The more I lean into Jesus because of my frailties. The more I grow. The more I read and listen to the Lord and others who are much smarter and father along in their walks with Christ, I've come to recognize that these are (probably) the top 3 reasons we (as believers in Jesus Christ) can find our lives miserable. 

1) We don't know remember who we are in Christ. We forget these things:
  • We are made in His image. (Genesis 1:27) 
  • We are fearfully, wonderfully (and creatively) made. He knew us before our birth. We are His “workmanship” - which, I believe can be translated - poetry, art - how sweet is that!? (Psalm 139:14, Jeremiah 1:15, Ephesians 2:10)
  • Nothing. NO THING. NO ONE can separate us from the Love of Christ. (Romans 8:35). Not only that, there’s no condemnation to those who are in Him. (Romans 8:1).
  • He has given us gifts to better the Church and to make much of Him. And He’s prepared these things for us since forever. (1  Corinthians 12:7-11, Ephesians 2:10)
  • We are made new in Him. (2 Corinthians 5:17)
  • We are all loved the same. No matter social status. Relationship status. Gender. God doesn’t say I love her more than you. No favorites. (Galatians 3:28)
  • We are God’s chosen ones. Holy. Beloved. His very own people that He picked. (Colossians 3:12, 1 Peter 2:9)

2) We don't understand the will of God.

We think in our heads that God's will is a noun. It's a person. It's a place. It's a thing - like a job. But it's not; it's a verb. It's sanctification (Yes, I recognize the word is technically a noun). But it requires action to be sanctified. To be made more holy. To be conformed into the likeness of God’s Son, Jesus Christ. To be complete in Him. 1 Thessalonians 4:3 says, “For this is the will of God, your sanctification.” Later in 5:16-18 Paul continues, “Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”


3) We don't live like we know the end of the story. 
Because we do! Have you ever read Revelation? God wins. 
The misery. The pain. The doubts and questions of this life are put to death. Satan and all the havoc he reeks in our lives is abolished. And we worship Jesus forever without distraction or decay. We understand. We see. Finally. We care about nothing else, but Christ. There is a hope of righteousness (Galatians 5:5)! This is the hope of glory! 


What a comfort it is to remember. 
To know. 
Who I am, not because of what I have done, but what God has done through Jesus Christ in me. 
To taste and see His plan for my life. 
And to have a peace that passes all understanding because I know. 
I believe the end of the story. 


"You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand there are pleasures forevermore." - Psalm 16:11

No comments: